Thursday, March 22, 2012

Symptoms of Endometriosis


Today I am going to talk about the main symptoms of Endometriosis.


Pain is most common symptom
The hard thing with Endometriosis is that some women have nearly no symptoms and are only diagnosed by default (like having surgery for something else). Also people with symptoms may think that it is normal body changes and don’t suspect anything is wrong until later as symptoms may worsen. No two women will share the same symptoms or experiences with endometriosis. Some women may have stage 4 and have little or no pain, but someone in stage 2 may have excruciating pain. The best cure for endometriosis is pregnancy; however, those with endometriosis have a harder time getting pregnant.  The earlier endometriosis is detected the better. The longer it goes untreated the more scarring and damage can be done. Tomorrow I will talk about treatments. So main symptoms:
Pregnancy is best cure!

1.       Pain before and during periods. This is the most common symptom shared by those with endometriosis. I am in such pain that I am crumpled up in a tight ball with a hot pad and bottle of Ibuprofen. I have had to leave work, miss dates, skip family outings, go home early from girls camp all because I am in such pain. It is debilitating and I hate it. I cannot eat for almost two full days because the pain is so bad. I remember when I started my period in 6th grade and bawling all night because it hurt so badly and my dad thought I was having appendicitis until he found out I had started my period. Really painful periods are NOT normal. I have had 5 OBGYN’s and I told them all how painful my periods were and 4 of them told me “OH it is normal to have cramps” blah, blah, blah. Finally my new OBGYN took a deeper look and he is the one who diagnosed me. Advice number one: find a good OBGYN.

2.       Pain with Intercourse

3.       General, Chronic pelvic pain throughout the month

4.       Low back pain. My back pain is worse before and during my periods

5.       Heavy and/or irregular periods. My periods are very random. They can be anywhere from 48 days apart to two in a month. I think it important to note that if you are skipping periods you should go see an OBGYN.  Advice number two: skipping periods is not normal and usually is an indicator that something is wrong.

6.       Painful bowel movements, especially during menstruation

7.       Fatigue. I am always tired…so I don’t know if that is due to endometriosis or just me. It is a big joke in both of my families how much and how easily I can sleep.

8.       Infertility. This is actually the symptom that diagnosis most women. I can deal with pain and fatigue, but dealing with the infertility has been the hardest. I am so grateful for modern medicine so I can at least try something more.

9.       Diarrhea or constipation

10.   Headaches

11.   Low grade fevers

12.   Depression

13.   Hypoglycemia-which is low blood sugar.

14.   Anxiety

15.   Susceptibility to infection and allergies

1 comment:

Kristen and Erik Cambridge said...

I am sorry you have to deal with this. That is a serious bummer. My sister has endometriosis. She has had to have surgery to remove some of it before. It causes her a lot of pain and trouble. I can only imagine what you must be going through. Thanks for sharing this to make other aware. It isn't an easy road to travel.