Friday, March 23, 2012

Complications of Endometriosis


Okay now to finish I will talk about complications! Oh the JOY!

Infertility is one of the main complications. Endometriosis is responsible for about 1/3 of infertility cases in woman. I am obviously experiencing this one :) I read somewhere that about 70% of women with endometriosis will have a child within 3 years. I am entering year number three of trying so lets hope for the best!!!!

Internal scarring- Basically no fun...I already talked about using laparoscopy to remove the scarring. Read my post about treatments!

This is a picture of an adhesion. Gross I
know, but hey it is medical right?
Adhesions-these are fibrous bands that form between tissues and organs. Adhesions form naturally as part of the healing process in a body. Unfortunately for women with endometriosis they can form without even having surgery. A endometrial implant can bleed and become inflamed. As it is healing if it comes in contact with another inflamed implant the two connect and form an adhesion. This can cause problems like binding a ovary to the side of the pelvic wall. It is associated with very sharp pain. Luckily I have not formed any adhesions yet.

Pelvic Cysts

A chocolate cyst that is ruptruing. You can
see the cocolate goo coming out. Really
gross I know, but I grow those...even more
gross I know, sorry.
Chocolate Cyst of the ovaries-also known as an endometrioma. These cysts form when the endometrial tissue is formed, falls off, transplants onto the ovary, and grows and enlarges over the months or years. Blood builds up inside and it turns brown. The cysts do not affect the quality of a woman’s eggs; however, these cysts can affect the release of a woman’s eggs contributing to her infertility. I grow these cysts. I had one that was over 5cm removed last February. That surgery was HORRIBLE. I never want to have one removed again. I couldn’t lift myself up, cough, or laugh without being in pain for almost a week. I was so weak and I have a new found respect for mothers who do C-sections. I had 3 small incisions in my abdomen, not a big ol’ slice. 
 I just found out that I have another one on my right ovary that is over 7cm long.  As a side note my OBGYN told me that a woman had a 40lb cyst removed-seriously how can you let it get that big. The biggest worry with big cysts is the flipping of the ovary. Once a cyst gets over 5cm it becomes a risk. When an ovary flips it cuts off the blood supply and the ovary can turn black and die if not treated immediately. Not going to lie I am kind of scared about not having it removed and just moving forward with In Vitro; however, both my OBGYN and doctor feel it is safe and the right move.


Overall Endometriosis is LAME! However, it is not even close to the worst disease out there. Whenever I get caught up in woe is me I have to step back and put things in perscpective. I am pretty much healthy, i'm married to a wonderful man, I have the church in my life, and I have good family and friends to help me through everything. They say if everyone put their troubles in a hat you would want to take yours back. I believe that.

No comments: