Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hiking Mt. Everst (or so it seemed)

Weather here in Washington is absolutley GORGEOUS so Justin and I decided to go hiking and enjoy the outdoors. On the 6th of September we decked out in hiking gear and headed for Mt. Si!! We were totally excited--our backpack was full of water, popcorn, chocolate twizzlers, and power bars. We had everything we needed for an amazing day. Eric reccomended we hiki Mt. Si since he hiked there on his mission with Ryan McClean.








Mt. Si is a 4 mile up and 4 mile down hike. We started out the hike excited for what lay ahead driving forward happily chatting little did we know what lay ahead. So Justin and I go to the gym every day and though we are not triathalon rcompeters I would say we are in decent shape. HAHA not even one mile up and we were panting totally out of breath and I was highly considering turning around.








The hike up was ABSOLUTLEY BEAUTIFUL! I've never seen such green, mossy, and serene looking teerrain. There were tons of hikers with dogs--each dog that passed by Justin would get all excited and tell me how cute it was and asked me what I would name the pupple. He would then get those puppy dog eyes begging me for his own dog :). by halfway up I was ready to die. it was still way fun though.








Once we reached the top it was one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen! Justin took off the backpack and his back had sweat marks in the shape of the backpack (gross!) There was this cute little chipmunk that sat right by us. I fed it popcorn and it was literally like 2 feet away from us. After resting up we started the hike down. I was so excited to take the hike down thinking it would be a breeze in comparison, but man oh man was I mistaken it was MURDER! The whole way down my right knee was burning. I had ot make Justin stop so many times so my knee could calm down. Justin picked out several nice walking sticks for me so I could take the pressure off my knee, but that didn't really help. I really did not think I would make it down.








We finally made it down the mountain and i've never been so happy to be in the car. After a week my knee was still in DEEP pain so I went to the doctor and got hooked up with the latest fall fashion--a knee immobilizer splint. I'm not supposed to move my knee for at least the next week. The mountain totally schooled me! But i would totally go hike the mountain again (though i don't think Jusitn would let me) All in all it wa an amazing Saturday up in the great NorthWest!

1 comment:

Ryan and Ashley said...

Shellese- I feel soooo bad for you! How are you feeling now? Is your knee getting any better? Do you know if J is going to Japan yet?